Exp, pressurized systems, ATEX approved
The principle of a pressurized apparatus
The entry of a surrounding atmosphere into the enclosure of the electrical apparatus is prevented by
maintaining a protective gas, inside the enclosure, at a higher pressure than the surrounding atmosphere.
The overpressure is maintained either with or without a continuous flow of the protective gas.
Pressurized apparatus “p”
EN/IEC 60079-2 (EN 50016)
Control panels for the installation of large (non-ex) equipment, diagnostic equipment, PC’s etc.
Why to buy an Exp system from an ATEX certified manufacturer?
According to the ATEX 137, the end user is always responsible for the safety of the installation. For an Exp installation, many standards can be applicable: IEC 60079-0 (EN 50014), IEC 60079-2 (EN 50016) („p“), IEC 60079-1 (EN 50018) („d“), IEC 60079-7 (EN 50019) („e“) and the IEC 60079-11 (EN 50020) („i“).
An ATEX certified manufacturer is expected to have the necessary knowledge to fullfil all the requirements to build an Exp installation according to the applicable standards.
ATEX certified Exp explosion protected systems must comply with following requirements:
- All front mounted components to be certified according to IEC 60079-0.
- The mounting of internal components is restricted to the requirements as mentioned in the IEC 60079-0, IEC 60079-2 and IEC 60079-11.
- The test procedure for Exp systems has to be done according to the IEC 60079-2. For example: an overpressure test, leakage compensation test, pressurization test, verification minimum overpressure test, etc.
How to recognize an ATEX certified Exp system zone 1 and 21:
A few points to recognize whether an Exp system has been built according to the ATEX directive 94/9/EG (ATEX 95) or not:
- A certificate number must be mentioned on the type label of a zone 1/zone 21 installation.
- On the type label of the system an ATEX code should be marked: Ex II 2 G/D....
- The type label of a zone 1/ zone 21 installation is marked with a CE mark followed by 4 number digit. This number indicates the notified body (e.g. KEMA is 0344). In case this number fails, it is not allowed to put the installation in operation in a zone 1 area. This number can be issued only by a notified body, like: PTB, DMT, KEMA, etc.
Every system should be accompanied by an EC declaration of conformity and a well written manual according to the ATEX directive.
Because the owner of the installation is responsible for the safety of an installation, it is important for him to know a supplier is a qualified supplier for hazardous area panels Exp. By demanding an ATEX workshop notification for Exp he can easily verify this.
A supplier having this notification means, that the notified body has proved and accepted the quality system from the manufacturer of hazardous area products.
Solutions Electromach can supply according to international standards
Zone 21 to 22
Zone 1 pressurized control panels are suitable for an operation temperature of –30°C to +60°C. Supply voltage standard 230 VAC, optionally available 24 VAC, 110 VAC, 120 VAC, 12 VDC and 24 VDC, The unit consists of:
- Pressure control unit complete with digital indicator and air outlet. The air outlet is standard provided with an explosion proof air/spark particle barrier.
- Air supply unit, air inlet connection 3/8‘G.
- Control of the pressure inside the cabinet; it compensates automatically the air leakage of the panel.
The empty enclosure is ATEX certified. A „U“-certificate issued by KEMA (notified body) will be supplied as well as an installation and start-up manual. Before putting into service in a zone 1 area, the panel must be certified by a notified body (e.g. PTB, DMT, KEMA, etc.). Electromach is authorized to certify on behalf of KEMA and can supply a complete equipped panel with an ATEX EC-type examination certificate.
Zone 2 pressurized control cabinets are suitable for an operating temperature of –30°C to +60°C. Supply voltage is standard 230 VAC, optionally available 24 VAC, 110 VAC, 120 VAC or 12 VDC and 24 VDC. The unit consists of:
- Pressure control unit complete with digital indicator without air outlet. Warning: before starting up the system, verify if the area is non-hazardous by means of gas detection.
- Air supply unit which must be manually set to compensate air leakage of the panel, air supply connection 3/8‘G.
Optionally we can supply the control unit with an air outlet and purge valve to allow automatic start-up function and automatic air leakage compensation (this is mandatory for EN/IEC 60079-2).
The empty enclosure is built in accordance with ATEX. A manufacturers declaration will be supplied as well as an installation and start-up manual.
A zone 21/22 pressurized control panel is identical as described under zone 2. For zone 21 an ATEX “U”-certificate will be supplied, issued by KEMA (notified body).
Before putting into service in a zone 21 area, the panel must be certified by a notified body (e.g. PTB, DMT, KEMA). Electromach is authorized to certify on behalf of KEMA and can supply a complete equipped panel with an ATEX EC type examination certificate.
For zone 22 we will supply a manufacturers declaration.